March 18, 2007
I've been plugging along with this durring the evenings. I started
putting the galley in the back, or at least the countertop, and bottom
of the interior cabinets. The countertop makes it seem like it might
actually be usable someday, but I think I'm going to wait a little bit
until I really finish the galley. I think I'll work on the ceiling
and electrical, and get the general structure finished, then I can
come back and finish this later.
So, I put the roof spars themselves, which are exactly 58 5/8" long.
Except for the bulkhead near the bottom, that's 58 1/2" long for some
reason. So, my interior roof is going to have to taper a bit when
it's wrapped around. Two spars along top are spaced 14 1/2" for the
vent I'll install later.
I'm going to skin the interior roof in 1/8" plywood, and I get it home
from Home Depot, and realize it's only 3'x7' sheets. I figured I'd
glue three of these together to get over the 9' needed in length, and
if they were 4' wide, I'd have room to spare, but 3' wide sheets just
make it. They're cut to 58 5/8" wide, and glued together with 12"
pieces on the back and wood glue.
They dry for 24 hours, then I try to see how they fit. It's too
short, and doesn't wrap all of the way around to where the galley door
is supposed to be. Also, where the 12" joints are don't bend very
well, which is not really fatal on the interior, but this won't work
on the exterior.
Given both problems, I'm going to try again, but I'll save the first
attempt in case this next approach doesn't work. Instead of gluing
with scrap wood, I'm trying to use fiberglass tape and expoxy. It's
curing now, and I'll see if this combination will actually bend around
an interior corner sometime this week.